From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1993 16:40:17 EST
Three messages describing landhooks.--------Johnnie

      Fri, 5 Nov 1993 07:50:40 -0800 (PST)
      Jenny Marie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
         RE:  landhook

Jim -- I might be making this up but isn't a landhook the think that
looks like a stretched out "z" and is used on plat maps to show that the
same person/persons owns parcels that adjoin each other but some of the
parcels are too small to have the names in them?  Unfortunately, I don't
have anything here about survey systems so can't doublecheck this.

Jenny Marie Johnson
Map Collection
University of Washington
jmj@u

      Fri, 5 Nov 1993 19:56:52 +0100
         landhook (A)

Maybe you could try the following publication:

Cartographical innovations : an international handbook of mapping
terms to 1900 / ed. by Helen M. Wallis and Arthur H. Robinson. -
[London?] : Map Collector Publications (1982) Ltd. in association
with the International Cartographic Association, 1987. ISBN
0-906-430-04-6.

However it is not so much my field of interest, so I really do
not know.

Jan Smits
Mapcurator Royal Library, The Netherlands

      Fri, 05 Nov 1993 09:45:19 -0800
      Joe Crotts <[log in to unmask]>
         RE: landhook

It has been use to refer to a recurved spit, or more broadly any landform
curved by wave action, and in some cases wind action as well.