From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:23:14 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 09:36:26 -0600
From: Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FREE Volunteer jobs posting with GISjobs.com (fwd)

Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

They also use bulk mailing techniques to spam any addresses they can
collect from GIS-related mailing lists. It's a good idea in theory, but
a rotten one in practice in these spam-filled days. During their last
two "bombing runs", I received several copies of these "announcements"
at my various addresses including a couple of ghost addresses I keep to
find out who sifts GIS mailing lists for addresses.

I find this overly aggressive commercial exploitation of the net really
irritating. There is a place for SOME of it as "news" (I do like to know
who has what for sale), but too many companies think they can get their
money for nothing flooding us with mass quantities of robot email. Grr!

BTW, for what it's worth, I have set up a totally non-commercial list of
various online GIS jobs resources as a spin-off of an article I wrote
last spring. You can see it at
http://www.ctmap.com/gisnet/notebook/jobs.htm, and you won't get another
straw stuck in your wallet.

Sorry for wandering off-topic, but this new move in spamming (collecting
targeted addresses from mailing lists to feed bulk emailers) is relevant
to anyone who uses a mailing list.

- Bill Thoen