From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:58:40 -0400
Subject: Re: USGS Forest Service Revised Quads]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:52:38 -0400
From: Steve Morris <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

More info about the USFS quad sheets may be found at the North Carolina
Geologic Survey topo map site at: http://tinyurl.com/3b8f6  ... the URL was
too long to cut and paste.  Click on the "Single-edition revision" link for
the USFS map details.

Key points are that the interagency agreement allows the USFS to update only
the National Forest land on a quadrangle and that DRG copies were not
routinely produced, so:

"... areas outside the National Forest System lands may not have been
revised and could be significantly older than the printed map date. Users
should note that:

In many cases, map revisions on a topographic map are performed only within
the USFS national forest boundaries;

In certain cases, partial and inconsistent feature revisions are performed
outside the USFS national forest boundary; and

Soft copy (the equivalent of a DRG) may not be as current as the published
paper map."

Some of this information on the NCGS page was summarized from the following
report:

Moore, Larry, 2000, The U.S. Geological Survey's revision program for
7.5-minute topographic maps, in Soller, David R., editor,  Digital Mapping
Techniques '00-Workshop Proceedings, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report
00-325, p. 21-26.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/of00-325/moore.html

Best regards,

Steve Morris