From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 10:31:43 EDT
 ======================================================================= 122
     Should Maps-L run adds from companies and indiviuals and / or run a New
Maps Column?

     Over the last two years the acceptance of messages on the net
from private companies has changed from negative to almost neutral.
 Also the mission of Maps-L has always been to provide cartographic
information.  I believe that the Maps-L subscribers want information
about new maps and cartographic information no matter what the
source.  The question then becomes how to keep the message traffic on
Maps-L at a readable level and how to allow commercial subscribers to
have an equitable access.  I would like to try several approaches.  I
have not limited commercial messages on Maps-L for the last year.  I
have also not encouraged such traffic.  Several publishers / vendors
have been fairly creative in their approach on Maps-L. Should Maps-L be more
open to allowing commercial traffic on the list?   What is appropriate
traffic?
     I would very much like to see a publisher - vendor 'column'
appear on Maps-L on a regular basis.  I am very open to how this
column would be edited.  The IMDA , now IMTA (International Map Trade
Association) puts out an excellent newsletter.  I would like to see
something in Maps-L along those lines, maybe edited by that
association.  However I do not want to limit such a column to just
members of the association.
     I have talked to people from MapLink about some of these ideas
as they have been interested in putting informations about their
offerings on Maps-L.  Attached is an message about some new maps they
are selling.
     What do you subscribers think of these ideas, of the MapLink
information, and do you have any suggestions.

Johnnie Sutherland
Moderator, Maps-L

Map Collection, University of Georgia, Athens, GA

-------------New Maps Available-------------------------------------

      erno bonebakker <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: New Paraguay Material at Map Link

Map Link has recently received a new shipment of maps from Paraguay, A summary
listing appears below; if you would like more details, please let me know.

Departmental Maps - 9 titles,  $13.75 each
City  Plans- 29 titles - $12.50 each
Thematic Maps/ National maps:
        Geologic- 4 sheets - $45 per set
        Hydrologic - 4 sheets - $45 per set
        National map- 2 sheets - $20 per set
        National map - 4 sheets - $30 per set

250k topo sheets - 25 titles - $13.75 each

I look forward to hearing from you!

ERNO R. BONEBAKKER
MAP LINK /WATERWAYS
317 SPRING STREET