Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:38:03 -0500
Subject:        RE: Re: Folded vs. flat
Date:   Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:32:51 -0400
From:   Carol McAuliffe <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Good morning Hallie and the rest of Maps-L!

At the University of Florida, we follow very close to the same procedure
as PSU.  When we get maps that have hard covers attached to them, the
covers are removed after cataloging so that maps can be unfolded and
stored flat.  As Paige said, the covers would cause too much damage and
also take up too much space if left on.  If the cover has information on
it that would be useful to keep (particularly an index), the cover is
given the same call number as the map and stored with our reference
books as accompanying text.

We store almost all of our maps unfolded and flat, including our road
maps and travel maps.  I think the road maps in particular would benefit
from being stored flat because a lot of them have been made with low
quality paper.  There is a lot of ripping along the fold lines on older
road maps and storing them flat would help keep the problem from
escalating.

I was thinking about it and I believe the only maps we store folded are
the ones that come from the USGS as MS or I reports.  These often come
in a brown or white folder with accompanying text inside.  As is often
the case with such decisions, I believe we did this for convenience's
sake.  They are easily searched when kept as a series and they fit
nicely into filing cabinets.  However, when looking at the long term
preservation of these maps, storing them flat would be preferable.

Hope that helps!  I agree it is interesting to hear what others are
doing in their own libraries.

~Carol

Carol McAuliffe, Map Librarian
Map and Imagery Library, Spatial Information Services Unit,
Government Documents Department,
George A. Smathers Libraries,
University of Florida
(352) 273-2828