From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:57:29 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:40:02 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Online Ordnance Survey Gazetteer <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

With regard to the original question, how to get to the online gazeteer of
the Ordnance Survey, it was not immediately apparent to me when I went to
the url given below.  The address given seems to be active.

To get the gazeteer, select Get-a-map from the frame.  Searching the term
'gazeteer' in the search box retrieved no results.  It is a very nice
locator based on the OS Motoring atlas.  You can search a place name in
the GB Gazeteer, search a post code, or search a Grid designation.

It is not really a gazeteer, but rather a map index.  It gives no location
coordinates in latitude and longitude, nor does it give the military or
UTM grid.  In other words, it is usable only for the map images it
provides.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---