From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:02:23 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:09:45 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: map librarianship course
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Dearest colleagues,

This June I will be teaching [ha!] a two-week, three credit course in map
librarianship in NYPL's new learning center for the Pratt Library School. I
suspect there is info on their site, and i am trying to get it posted on
maps-l, fyi.

There will be twenty class sessions, 1 1/2 hrs each, plus another 1 1/2
each day for work on projects. Guest lecturers will help me not lose my
mind trying to cover all subjects for all these classes!

Just curious if there are some syllabi out there, or course outlines which
you all might share with me. I tried searching and got nowhere, which
illustrates I need to learn alot before I teach this course...I have
already done a lot of work, and have a hefty reading list. [For three
credits, they can jolly well read!]

Seems to me there was a discussion of same [map librarianship courses &
syllabi]  couple of years ago,and perhaps these were indeed gathered
somewhere and posted? Or am I just dreaming.

Any help appreciated. To think I went into librarianship because I did not
want to teach, the way four generations of Hudson women did before me...

I think the course will eventually go online, that seems to be the end
goal. And I will plan to post it, perhaps on Map Div's web page, if the
bosses here approve.

Thanks again...

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027
--- End Forwarded Message ---