From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:55:59 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From:Francis Herbert
Sent:08 January 200317:32
To:[log in to unmask]
Subject: USGS 1:250K series V502 printings

A recent donation has brought me a problem regarding some sheets of
above topo series.   Sheets NI 11-3 (1972),  11-5 (1975),  12-1 (1972),
and NJ 12-11 (1973) in the present instance we now have here each in two
printings of identical rev./ed. date(s) and identical publication date -
but one printed version of each has yellow infill for urban areas, the
other printed version has infill in grey.  Which version was printed
before/after the other?  The addition of an edition statement above top
border, and/or the addition of a stock number outside bottom right
border, is no consistent chronological guide regarding these sheets.

As our limited reference materials are inaccessible at present (for
about another year - but at least there's a large hole in our Garden
ready for excavation, etc.) and as there's a distinct probability the
USGS website would be impenetrable over this problem, I am asking those
directly who know the answer from practical (everyday?) experience.

PS: the absence or presence of the green 'Woods-brushwood' overprint is
less of a problem (and doesn't apply to the 4 sheets in this query).

Yours in hope

Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)

http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections'/'Unlocking the Archives']