From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:02:52 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Universal Map company map Dates?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I have called Universial Map company by telephone, and received assistance
from the one who answered on interpretation of the code to determine the
date of a road map.  If you indicate what map you are working with, they
would probably ask for the code you find in a certain place, and readily
tell you what date it is.

If I were to not purchase maps they publish, because they use a code
rather than the date, I would not be able to get a road map of some areas
of the country, including certain maps of Michigan cities.  They are not
unique, in fact are a bit of the 'old school' in their use of such a code
to indicate a date.

A look at the date codes web page of WAML indicates that others have used
this method, also.  http://www.waml.org/datecode.html#

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA