Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1993 14:25:15 EST
Sorry this was forwarded incorrectly when it should have been send to MAPS-L

For MAPS-L

Re the DOQ selection:  The University of FLorida expects to select all the
CD's for the same reasons mentioned by Johnny.  We are the regional depos-
itory for Florida and house the 270,000 aerial photos for the state of
Florida.  These are actively used by persons from all the U.S.
As to the space requirements:  There will be more needed than the one bookcase
that was mentioned.  Measurements conducted in our library have determined that
if you were to stack the DOQuad CD's on top of each other, 2 deep on regular
library shelfs 30"w X12"d X96"h, you would be able to store 2880 CD's.  Ad-
ditional space would be needed to house the rest of them.  Also this would
present an access problem that could be a headache in an actively used
collection.  We want to store our CD's on end in a fairly easily retrievable
fashion.  We estimate that this will take a minimum of 2 such bookcase/shelving
units.  Additionally some libraries have only wall mounted shelves so they can
not be accessed from both sides.  Thus more shelving will be necessary.  We
have determined UF needs the equivalent of 3 library shelving units 30"X12X96"
to house the expected DOQ's plus the many CD's we now have and we expect from
the various 1990 and 2000 Census programs.  This doesnot include all the ARC-
Info databases we have been promised nor any use of CD's as storage medium for
existing library materials.
Hope this helps.  HelenJane Armstrong, Univ. of Florida Map & Imagery Library