From:
Walt Herreid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:49:40 EST
The following rereference question was forwarded to the University of
Alaska by a very roundabout route.  We are just starting to dabble in
GIS and this is way beyond us.   I was wondering if anyone out there
might be able to help Andrea with her question.   Thank you very much in
advance.  (Andrea if you get help with this questions, please let
Walt know at: [log in to unmask])

Walt Herreid

My name is Andrea Hausold and I am a student of cartography at Munich
Polytechnic, Germany. At the moment I am working at my
diploma-thesis. I am doing this work in cooperation with
Alfred-Wegener-Institute of Polar and Marine Research (AWI) in
Bremerhaven, Germany as preparing work for a future expedition. The
aim is to produce two or more maps of an area in Dronning Maud Land
(about 7 to 11 degrees West, about 74 to 75 degrees South). In
addition to the material available at AWI I would like to make use of
any information about this area (Kottasberge, part of
Heimefrontfjella, part of Dronning Maud ..) and about cartographic
products of Antarctica in General. Concerning the cartographic
design I first want to make an analysis of existing maps containing
satellite images or aerial images of Antarctica for I am going to
make maps containing SPOT-images. So I would be most grateful if you
could provide me with examples of the kind of maps you have/use.(can
be of any part of Antarctica) In addition I urgently need some help
at some other problem: it was planned to generate a Digital Terrain
Model (DTM) out of stereopairs of our SPOT-scenes in order to derive
contour lines and inclinations/slopes out of it. Unfortunately the
program I tried produces only poor - not usable - results. This is
partly due to the fact that so far I only have few and not very
accurate ground control points and to the widely homogenous surface
(except for the nunatakker). So can you help me by providing me with
information about the region described before (or part of it)? Either
maps with contour lines or height data or GPS-Data or DTMs or aer
photographs or... Even old aerial photos for analogueinformation
extraction would be valuable information. Or do you maybe even have
experience in problems like these (derivation of DTM out of
stereo-SPOT-scenes) and can give me a hint on suitable programs or
literature or people who know? Any information would be most useful
for me. I am really interested in doing this work and I want to make
it as good as possible. In case you cannot provide me with material
off charge please let me know at what price I could get which
information. In case I adressed the wrong person with this mail
please pass it on to the right adress. Many thanks. Thank you very
much for efforts, I am most grateful for any help I can get. best
regards, yours sincerely

Andrea Hausold

email at Munich Polytechnic:
[log in to unmask] postal adress:
Andrea Hausold
Tuerkenstrasse 58/508 80799
Muenchen Germany

Walt Herreid, Government Documents and Maps
Elmer E. Rasmuson Library, Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks
Email: [log in to unmask]; Phone: 907-474-6730