From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:35:53 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:47:58 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Alice Hudson honored
Sender: [log in to unmask]

It is with great pleasure that I report to all you map colleagues, on
behalf of the staff of the New York Public Library's Map Division, that our
chief, Alice Hudson, was recently honored with a prestigious award.  The
Fund for the City of New York  named Alice a winner of the 2001 Sloan
Public Service Awards.  The awards program recognizes "outstanding civil
servants whose work performance and commitment to the public transcend not
merely the ordinary but the extraordinary -- day after day and year after
year."  On March 14, representatives of the Fund visited the New York
Public Library to present Alice with her award, as they visited the
workplaces of the seven other recipients.  Then in the evening, all
honorees, officials, friends, relatives and co-workers gathered at the
Great Hall of Cooper Union where each of the eight was introduced.  The
Fund cited Alice for being "tirelessly dedicated to encouraging the public
to use the collection" which she has "developed and promoted [as] the
largest public library map collection in the United States."  We are very
happy about Alice's recognition, and we are privileged to be working with
her.  In her brief remarks of acceptance, she reinforced our pride in being
librarians, as she talked about knowledge being power, and the kinds of
knowledge that we share as map librarians in a collection like ours.

Among the other award winners were Alan Leidner, Wendy Dorf, and Richard
Steinberg, each from a different city department, who together "helped
create something colossal for this city:  the NYCMAP -- an accurate and
probably the most complicated and detailed urban map ever created."  That
is the new GIS for New York City, with phenomenal layers of information and
large-scale display capabilities.  So it's a good year for maps in New
York!

A few days prior to the awards presentation, Alice was featured in a Sunday
New York Times article, "The Kingdom of the Map" by Andrew Friedman, in the
City section (March 11, 2001,  p. 3).

Nancy Kandoian
Map Div., NYPL
--- End Forwarded Message ---