Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:12:08 EDT
We recently received The world factbook <computer file> (item 0856-A-10,
SuDocs number PREX 3.15/2:) on deposit and it appears to offer the features
of the printed version does without offering new ones.  The major
disappointment is in the resolution of the color maps.  The World map
appears blurry even when enlarged on a 17" high resolution monitor.  Most
of the labels never become readable.  Even the smaller maps, e.g., Ethnic
Groups of Eastern Europe, which look promising because the country names
are clear, have unreadable keys.  One has to know the names of the Ethnic
groups in order to guess at where they are represented!

Has anyone gotten this to work properly?  I think they're scanned at too
low a resolution.  Is there any way to give constructive feedback to the
producer?  The World and Oceana maps are pretty much unusable except as
colored wallpaper, but if they were clear, this would be a very useful
product.

John Stevenson
University of Delaware Library
Government Documents and Maps