From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1993 11:31:14 EDT
Hello All,
  I had an interesting question last week from a consulting firm.
They were looking for an existing slope map for Wyoming.  Given that
there were very few slope maps ever done by USGS, this type of map
would have to be generated from raw data (which we do have available
here on campus).  Since I have just finished 2 semesters of GIS, this
type of map would not be difficult to generate.  However, I do not
have the equipment here in the library, nor did I have the time to go
to the GIS Lab to import the data into ARC/INFO and generate the data.
  Our Director is envisioning the map library of the future as a
series of data sets, rather than cases of paper.  In that case, the
map librarian of the future will have to be able to access and
manipulate the data sets.  How far do you think we will have to go?
Does anyone now generate a specific type of map on request?  Should
this be left to the GIS wizards?  Should map librarians have a role
in generating specialized maps, or creating user-friendly interfaces
that allow patrons to generate specialized maps on their own?
Finally, how does this impact the training we should be getting in
Library School?
  I realize this is a big can of worms that maybe nobody wants to
think about.  But I would be interested in seeing what others are
thinking.
Linda Zellmer  [log in to unmask]