From:
Reidun Nuquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 14:24:04 EST
   The map collection of the Bailey/Howe Library at the University of
Vermont counts 200,000+ items and is the largest in the state.  The library
is a federal depository (90 pecent) and receives all maps published by the
USGS, NOS, USFS, CIA, etc.; it is also a depository for Canadian topographic
maps.
   Although our government documents are included in LUIS, our online
catalog, maps are not.  The maps are cataloged and classified in the Documents
& Maps Department according to the American Geographical Society (AGS)
System and can be located through a separate card catalog in the Map Room.
Searching is only be geographic area and subject/theme as defined by AGS
(1969).
   We would like to increase visibility and use and are beginning to study
our options for including maps in the online catalog.  Whatever route we
take, we expect that most of the work will have to be done by department
employees and student workers.
   Part of the solution might be to change our MARCIVE profile to include
maps and change our AGS classification to LC Scedule G.  We would still
have the problem of recataloging/finding OCLC rcords for all pre-1976
maps and non-government maps.  The US 7.5 topographic maps, now filed by
alphanumeric sheet numbers (except for Vermont, New Hampshire, and Alaska
which are filed by quadrangle names) pose a different problem.  Do we need
'mother' and 'daughter' records for each state?  Should we leave the filing
schemes as they are?
   We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone from non-AACR2
cataloging/non-LC classification--or is thinking of it--to standard MARC
format cataloging.  Please respond directly to me.  I will summarize for
the list if there is interest.

Reidun D. Nuquist                  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Documents & Maps Department        Tel.: 802-656-3028
Bailey/Howe Library                Fax: 802-656-4038
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT 05405-0036