From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:36:31 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:56:36 -0400
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Voracious archies --thanks everybody!!
Sender: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks Virginia, and  to all of you mapsters for your insight on the baby
architects and their absent handlers.

We are doing much of what you all suggest, and it does help, until the
deluge on a nice quiet afternoon!
We collect the syllabi, and set up folders, etc. I do very much like Linda
Zellmer's model of putting subject oriented stuff up on a website, and we
might investigate something like that, modified for students from a variety
of campuses.

We have to take some responsibility for our own troubles, as we have worked
hard to make the collection known and accessible to environmentalists,
architects and archaeologists. So the lesson is, be careful what you pray
for, I guess!

Happily the digital program here in the Map Division is moving along, and
down the road we may just scan the most threatened stuff and not allow
access to the originals unless scholarly need is proven. Scanning some of
these goodies and placing them on our website will make them accessible,
and copiable in a quick-copy fashion,or for a Photoservices Dept. fee,
publishable copy provided.

Ahhh, onward and upward...

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

--- End Forwarded Message ---