From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 10:12:12 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:16:00 -0700
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: mcmapping

---------------------------------- Forwarded ----------------------------------
From: Joanne Donovan
Date: 9/21/94 8:14AM
To: Larry Cruse
Subject: GovAccess.060: USGS & NASA data-readers; Smart Valley summar
---------------------------------- Forwarded ----------------------------------
From: [log in to unmask] at @UCSD
Date: 9/20/94 9:12PM
*To: [log in to unmask] at @UCSD
MAC VIEWERS FOR USGS AND NOAA DATASETS

From <@UABDPO.DPO.UAB.EDU:[log in to unmask]> Sun Sep 18 08:09:33 1994
From: [log in to unmask] (Gib Henry)

Y'all have expressed an interest in mapping software for the Mac.  Nils
Davis ([log in to unmask]) was kind enough to provide some very
detailed info which I'm forwarding after the following "lets play catch-up"
quotes.

[My original message to Busbey <[log in to unmask]>:]
>I saw your unrelated post on MACPB-L and noticed that you're a geologist,
>so I was wondering if you could point me toward a Mac viewer for all that
>USGS data that lives out there.  I can download the stuff, but I can't find
>anything that'll open and view the maps.
>
>I've tried NIH's Image 4.pds and it won't work either (unless I'm doing
>something wrong in the downloading process).  Can your give me any
>pointers?

[His response:]
>Howdy,
>  Could you be a little more specific about the files? There are lots of
>different kind of files on the USGS servers. Besides the fact that they
>are in many different formats many are also 'zipped' or 'uuencoded'. I
>have run across files in jpeg, postscript, dlg, dem & other formats. Some
>I have found ways to read and some require conversion software (such as
>CAD-mover) that I don't have. Send me the URL for the particular
>site you obtained files from and the names of the files and I'll see
>what I can do.
>  Many of the earth observation NASA images are in jpeg format so you
>need some kind of jpeg converter - that is why I like to download them
>using Mosaic, since it does jpeg conversion (with help).
>  Sorry I can't be of much more help right now.
>Art

A while ago I responded to the above.  Since then, I've discovered MacGIS,
shareware which apparently can display DLG's and perhaps some other
formats.  There is a demo version available.  Nils Davis was kind enough to
send me the following .html page (I purposely didn't use any quoting
character, since you'd have a hell of a time reading the html in your
browser if I did!):

[From Nils Davis ([log in to unmask]):]

Gib --

... <omitted html document that contained the results of a search he did
on GIS resources for the Macintosh. The first entry
(http://abacus.bates.edu/~nsmith/General/Resources-GIS.html, "Internet
resources for geographic information and GIS"), was where he found the
information that led me to MacGIS.
The site that has MacGIS is the MacGIS gopher server at the University of
Oregon. The url is
gopher://dslmac.uoregon.edu/1D-1%3a31820%3amacGIS%20Gopher.>

FOLLOWED BY THIS NOTE

From [log in to unmask] Sun Sep 18 12:17:19 1994
From: [log in to unmask] (Art Busbey)

  The last I knew MacGIS was still a commercial product. If it is has
become shareware then they must have given up serious development.
Otherwise, there
is Map II (since its big brother, MapFactory, is not available yet). Map II
doesn't read dlg data but does read a variety of other formats. If MapFactor
(for which I am a beta tester) ever comes out it should provide most of the
raster-based GIS anyone might usually need and provides c-based plug-in
models for read and exporting to a variety of formats.

Also, as long as we are on dlg format, if you purchase SurfaceIII from the
Kansas Geological Survey (their contouring software) it comes with a
utility that converts dlg vectors files into SurfaceIII ROUT files. The
other big-time contouring mapping packages on the Mac, MacGridzo and
MCadContour do not support dlg input to my knowledge.

The only serious Macintosh pure GIS product right now is MacGRASS, but that
requires AUX to run. It is just the Macintosh port of the Corps of
Engineers GRASS raster GIS system and functions like GRASS on any platform.
If it comes out MapFactory will also be a serious professional GIS tool. If
you are interested in the image processing side of GIS then MultiSpec (from
Purdue) and Dimple (from Cherwell Scientific Publishing) are geared toward
image processing and multispectral data analysis. I have heard of Mac
support in two other image process/GIS programs that normally run under
UNIX, ENVI and (hell I forgot the name of the other and can't look it up now).

This looks like babling, but since I try to keep up with any
mapping/GIS.image processing applications for the Mac I am interested in
spreading information and also collecting same. I will look and see if the
shareware version of MacGIS is the last commercial version I saw.

 Art Busbey, Ph.D.             |  Associate Professor of Geology
 Department of Geology - TCU   |  [log in to unmask]
 Box 30798                     |  (817) 921-7270 - VOICE
 Fort Worth, TX 76129          |  (817) 921-7789 - FAX

 Blurb: I write a Macintosh software column for Geotimes. If you know of
 any earth-science related Macintosh software I would love to hear about it.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

ABOUT THAT "SMART VALLEY" ...

From [log in to unmask] Fri Sep 16 14:56:41 1994
From: Jan Sniderman <[log in to unmask]>

>It occured to me that there are likely other GovAccess
>readers who might like a *brief* overview of what
>SVI is and what it's about. If I git it, I'll send it. :-)    --jim

             SMART VALLEY, INC. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Mission:

Smart Valley, Incorporated, is facilitating the creation of
an electronic community by developing an advanced information
infrastructure and the collective ability to use it. Silicon
Valley is the ideal location to begin implementing the National
Information Infrastructure.  Smart Valley, Inc. is helping make
that happen.

The Organization:

Smart Valley, Inc., is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization that
acts as an independent, unbiased broker between technology
providers, service providers, application developers and end
users.  Smart Valley, Inc. was one of the first initiatives
launched by Joint Venture: Silicon Valley Network.

Products and Services:

Smart Valley, Inc. is building awareness of the potential of new
information technologies and services to the community and
stimulating applications of the new technologies that demonstrate
the value of the network.

Pilot Projects:

Smart Valley, Inc. is working with more than 50 pilot initiatives
focused on demonstrating application of information technologies
in such areas as telecommuting, education, healthcare and
electronic commerce.

Public Policy:

Smart Valley, Inc. is working with national and local governments
to resolve public policy issues that affect the implementation
and management of the information infrastructure.

Outreach:

Smart Valley, Inc. is helping broad elements of the surrounding
community understand the potential benefits and social challenges
implicit in the information  superhighway revolution.

Target Market:

Smart Valley, Inc. is facilitating grassroots efforts that identify
and implement a diverse set of applications by a broad range of users
in business, government, education and the community.  Smart Valley,
Inc. is also working with equipment providers and software developers
to ensure that the information infrastructure is implemented in
Silicon Valley to meet the needs of end users.

Management and Operations:

Smart Valley, Inc. is governed by a 13 member board of directors and
is affiliated with Joint Venture: Silicon Valley Network.  John Young,
former CEO of Hewlett-Packard Chairs the Board, and Professor William
Miller of Stanford Business School is Vice-Chair.  Dr. Harry J. Saal
is President and CEO of Smart Valley, Inc.

Funding:

Smart Valley, Inc.'s 1994 budget was approximately $1.1 M.  Funds are
being raised through cash and in-kind memberships and contributions.

Membership

Smart Valley, Inc. is a trade association that carries a charitable
501(c)(6) funds status.  Members are entitled to attend briefings,
workshops and conferences.  Members will receive quarterly newsletters.
Member companies will be recognized in Smart Valley literature.
Membership fees are based on size and type of organization (see below).

     Company Type/Revenue Size     Membership Contribution

     Individual                                 $25
     Small Non Profit                          none
     Large Non Profit (budget over $10M)     $1,500
     under $5M                               $1,000
     $5 - $20M                               $2,500
     $20 - $100M                            $10,000
     $100 - $400M                           $20,000
     $400M - $1B                            $35,000
     $1B                                    $50,000

Location:

Smart Valley, Incorporated
1661 Page Mill Road, Suite 200
Palo Alto, CA  94304-1209
Tel 415 843 2160    Fax 415 843 2222
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Electronic Mail Lists for Smart Valley "Broadcasts"

To subscribe to any of our lists, please send a message to
[log in to unmask] and not to the list itself.  Any message
sent to the list will be broadcast to all subscribers of
that list.

svp:
[log in to unmask]      (general announcements of Smart Valley
                        events and news)

telecommute:
[log in to unmask]     (telecommuting issues)

badger:
[log in to unmask]      (Bay Area GeoResource; digital
                         mapping project)

smartschools:
[log in to unmask]  (Smart Schools collaborative; Santa Clara
                      County, K-12, on internet)

scpan:
[log in to unmask]   (Santa Clara Public Access Network;
                public kiosks project)

---
For a list of commands, send a message to [log in to unmask]
and in the body of the message type one word only:
                         help
You will receive a list of commands you can use with our list
service.  Further information on lists, contact [log in to unmask]

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points,
but it is by no means the most interesting.
  --Dr. Who       [via [log in to unmask]]

Mo' as it Is.
--jim
GovAccess is a series of postings and a distribution-list maintained by
Jim Warren, columnist for MicroTimes, Government Technology, BoardWatch, etc.
  345 Swett Rd., Woodside CA 94062; voice/415-851-7075; fax/415-851-2814
    [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]