From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:53:41 -0500
Subject:        Re: Large format printer printing cost
Date:   Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:19:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Hallie Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

We have a large format scanner/printer combination & charge $.01 (1 cent) per square inch, print or digital output - at this rate most maps cost less than $15 to print.  Large format scanning & printing is not self-serve, mainly because we don't want to turn the public loose on our rather expensive hardware.

One other thing to consider when setting large format printing costs is how busy you expect or want to be.  At my previous position we had to raise our prices because we were swamped with non-library related poster printing requests.  Our original prices undercut the campus-wide copy service prices by almost half & people thought our staff was "nicer" to deal with than their was.  Not that there's anything wrong with being nice, of course, but we were rapidly becoming a print shop rather than a map library with a large format printer on the side & the administration prefered we remain a map library.

Hallie Pritchett
Map and Federal Regional Depository Librarian
University of Georgia Libraries
Athens, GA 30602
706-542-0690  FAX: 706-583-0631
http://www.libs.uga.edu/maproom/