From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:05:21 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Locking map cases
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005
From: Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"

Aloha Mark,

Similar "hinged doo-wickies" were installed on some new map cases a few
years ago.  After the map cases were delivered and set up, the vendor
drilled 4 holes into the frame of each map case and attached the hinge
with sheet metal screws.  Look out for metal filings.

I would also check with Mayline or your vendor to see if they have any
other locking options for stacked map cases, and if they would send you
a sample hinge.

I think these Mayline doo-wickies are fine if you have a limited amount
of cases to lock or don't mind working with many padlocks, but I do wish
the edges of the hinges had been finished smoother.  If Maylines' are
similar to the ones we had installed, there is the potential of the
metal corners tearing maps (and flesh), especially after they are swung
to the side in the open-position.  Believe me.

If you haven't come across these yet, a couple of pertinent photo-essays
in the WAML Information Bulletin to review:

--"Safe Storage of Maps and Oversize Flat Items at the Alaska State
Library's Historical Collection", by Artemis BonaDea, v28, no.3, July
1997.  Shown is a locking system similar looking to the Medeco and
"multi-lock swing-open security bars".

--"Map Case Security Device, v. 27, no.1, Nov. 1995.  Shown is the
University of Hawaii Library's "homemade solution" to securing map cases
using "L" brackets, metal pipe, padlock, and a length of steel bar or chain.

"Commercial and homemade solutions for locking map cases" would be a
great photo-essay topic.  If any one is interested in taking a few
photos of their setup, please let me know.

Aloha,
ross

Ross Togashi, WAML IB Photo-essay Editor

University of Hawai`i at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection
2550 McCarthy Mall
Honolulu, HI   96822
ph. (808) 956-6199    email: [log in to unmask]
Library flood info:  http://www.hawaii.edu/ala/flood.php