From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:18:18 -0600
Subject:        Re: OSS maps
Date:   Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:13:21 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hi Chieko!

Nope, the United States Office of Strategic Services (or OSS for
short) maps differ from the captured Nazi Germany maps considerably
and were published/produced here in the U.S. before and during WWII.
Most all of these can be identified by one or more of the following
bits of information appearing on all or nearly all of these maps:

1. compiled by or reproduced by either the OSS R&A Branch or
sometimes Branch of Research and Analysis (see ARN# 2406091 for the
heading in the name authority files)
2. a military style date such as "1 July 1943"
3. a unique ID number, most usually near or with the date and in the
lower left corner of the sheet (but not always, sometimes found in
the lower center or lower right of sheet)
4. scale is pretty similar across the board, if I recall usually
something like ca. 1:100,000??
5. Often the word "FREE" somewhere on the sheet
6. always b&w

Like the CIA maps, once you've seen a few of these you will recognize
them instantly by cartographic style as well as information given.

The captured Nazi maps, such as the many we have in our collection
here at Penn State are very different, great difference in scales
because they can be of a single city, a region, or a country(portions
of countries) and their two unique identifiers are the stamped-on
phrase "Captured Map" (not published with the map, added to it after
capture) and the stamped-on Nazi eagle with wings out, standing on a
circle of I believe oak leaves with the Nazi swastika in the middle.
Naturally, these Nazi Germany maps were published by one or more of
the military agencies during WWII, and the main entry for bib.
records of these most usually start "Germany. Heer." and then the
specific producing agency.

In addition, I recall that Alice Hudson wrote a fantastic and
interesting article on the OSS, its predecessor agency, and the
people who were members of it (if memory serves correctly Walter
Ristow was one???).

Hope this helps!

Paige