From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:03:28 -0500
Subject:        Re: Surface Management/Minerals Management Status series
Date:   Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:25:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:   Linda R Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hello,

At one time, I had a discussion about this topic with a state BLM cartographer. He was aghast that I was retaining the older, superseded, BLM maps for the state. I explained that if some historian wants to look at old land ownership to trace land swaps or mineral rights deals, they needed to be able to look back at the older maps. We then purchased a SUPERSEDED stamp so that users would be able to differentiate between the current and older editions. This seemed to satisfy the BLM's concerns, as they did not want people consulting older, out of date maps. At the time, we only kept the older maps for the local state, not every state.

So what about those of us in non-BLM states retaining older editions? I wouldn't unless you feel that there is a need or interest to do so (historians studying Federal land ownership). Linda Zellmer

--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian