From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:00:59 -0500
Subject:        map cataloging question
Date:   Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:53:39 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

I have purchased and recently received a small number of specialized maps, covering vegetation geography of various areas.  Each of the items in question is accompanied by a separate text.  In each case the text makes clear the fact that it is the accompanying item by having "map of ..." or "vegetation map of ..." or similar combination in the title.

The conundrum I am wrestling with is that where a catalog record exists in the OCLC database, the description conveys the fiction that it is a text accompanied by a map.  In one case, a significant work, "Map of the natural vegetation of Europe", 2000-2003, with two volumes, an explanatory text and legend text, and and appendix in CD-ROM all accompany a map at 1:2,500,000 scale in 9 sheets with a separate legend sheet and an overview map at 1:10,000,000.  The two text volumes are numbered 1 and 2.  The description calls this an atlas in 3 volumes, although each volume has the title map of..., and the map sheets are not designated as vol. 3.  No, it's a map in 9 sheets, all the appropriate materials say so.  Vol. 1 and 2 are obvious accompaniments to this, and the CD-ROM is an accompaniment to the larger text volume, the contents pages say so.

That is just one example.

I can change the record to add appropriate information in various fields, add fields.  Sometimes I've needed to switch from book format (?) to maps.  I don't want unnecessarily to create a new record when the item being described is definitely the one I have in hand.  How have you handled this sort of thing when you have encountered it?

Ken Grabach                         <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA