From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:01:03 -0400
** Apologies for Cross Posting **

This message is to let you know that the 14th Conference of the
Groupe des Carthotécaires de LIBER
will be held in Cambridge (England) from Tuesday 31 August 2004 to
Saturday 4
September 2004 inclusive.

The title of the conference is:

Map Collections and GIS or Digital Data – the death of the paper Map?

Discussions will centre on the rise in the availability of digital data,
how it is handled by libraries and how it sits alongside traditional
paper collections. We can also examine access to digital map images,
initiatives for scanning and the archiving of maps for preservation and
disaster recovery purposes. Topics for discussion might include: how GIS
is being used within the map library (by our users for the production of
their own maps; by ourselves for collection management; to enhance
remote access to the collections ...); the impact GIS is having on map
libraries (is our future in danger; can/should we embrace the technology
more?); interactive map indexes - web based or otherwise; digitisation
projects (why are they being done; user expectations; how successful
have they been ...)

The Conference is open to all interested parties (though in the case of
oversubscription preference will be given to delegates from member
libraries - see http://www.kb.dk/guests/intl/liber/memb/current/ for a
list of these)

A letter of invitation and a provisional programme are available at:
http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/maps/Liber.htm  It would help in the planning
of the conference if those hoping  to attend could return the form
attached to the provisional programme by 1 May, or soon after. If you
would like to present a paper, please also send a brief outline for
consideration.

More information about LIBER GdC is available at:
http://www.kb.nl/infolev/liber/intro.htm

You might also like to know that:

The Society of Cartographers Summer School takes place at the
University of Bristol  6th - 9th September, 2004
http://www.soc.org.uk/ss/bristol/bristol.html

and that

The British Cartographic Society Conference (including the Map Curators
Workshop) will take place September 9th - 12th 2004 at the University of
Durham http://www.cartography.org.uk/Pages/Latest/SympDurh.html

Looking forward to hearing from you

Anne

Anne Taylor
Head of Map Department, Cambridge University Library, West Road,
Cambridge CB3 9DR
Tel: 01223-333041.   Fax: 01223-333160.   email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/maps/Home.htm