From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1993 14:57:52 EDT
This message is from J.K. Herro.   ------ Johnnie

-------------------------------------

           Mon,  5 Apr 93 08:59:16 PDT
           "J. K. Herro" <[log in to unmask]>

  We have many old nautical charts in our collection saved by my
predecessors that were not replaced with newer sheets.  These old
charts (first half of the 20th C.) have value for their large
scale and cultural data, or at least I *think* they do.
Geneologists, geosci. consultants and environment students can be
pictured using these instead of smaller-scale 15' quads or in place
of insurance maps we don't have.

The DMA and newer NOAA catalogs of charts we have on our reference
shelves do not locate or number the old charts we still hold.  For
instance, the 1940 printing U.S.C. & G.S. chart no. 5984 of Coos
Bay, OR, is now no. 18587.

So my questions are:
Is there a cumulated index of chart numbers, USC-GS + DMA/NOAA?
Have you saved an old set of catalogs for any reason?
Have you annotated a newer catalog with older numbers?
Have you pitched all superceded sheets, and advise me to also?

One of my bewildering array of options is to classify all these old
"valuable" (I hope) sheets with a local call numbers.  I also
remember Paul Leverenz' admonition over MAPS-L:  "catalog a chart,
go to jail--its the law" but these relics aren't really charts
anymore no?  yes?

Sincerely,

  Joseph K. Herro
  Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collection
  Stanford, CA 94305
  415-725-1103