Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:55:29 -0600
Subject:        Special Populations Analysis and Research with GIS
Date:   Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:26:18 -0500
From:   Jane Read <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l

Sent on behalf of George Heake, Temple University.

________________________________

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to announce the establishment of a listserv and web site for Special Populations Analysis and Research with GIS. The short name for this initiative will be SPAR-GIS. A supporting web site can be found at www.spargis.org <http://www.spargis.org/> , which is in its beta form and is literally being updated as I write this email.

The primary focus will be within the emergency management topic area utilizing GIS as a planning and/or response tool for the well being of members of Special Populations. But researchers, students and professionals from any of the associated topic areas are welcomed.

The purpose of the listserv, web site and included forum is to foster a dialogue among the various project coordinators and participants so that best practices and past mistakes can be shared and learned from.

For the purpose of this initiative Special Populations will be defined as any part of the population that has a disability or special requirement in terms of an emergency or disaster such as hearing impaired, visually impaired, the elderly, language challenges, physical disabilities etc.

I encourage you all to subscribe to the listserv and forum and share your thoughts and ideas..and please forward this information to all interested parties.

If there are any problems or comments, please send them to George Heake at [log in to unmask]

Here is the link for the listserv

http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/spar_gis.html <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/spar_gis.html>

George A. Heake Jr.

Director of Special Operations

Center for Preparedness Research, Education and Practice (CPREP)
Department of Public Health Temple University
1700 N Broad St Philadelphia, PA 19122
http://www.temple.edu/cprep <http://www.temple.edu/cprep>

Emergency Managment Coordinator
Institute on Disabilities