From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:23:13 -0600
Subject:        Re: Phoenix street network data
Date:   Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:17:17 -0600
From:   Chieko Maene <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hi everyone,

I finally had a chance to create geocodable street data using TIGER2008
- I had to. I know my patrons would ask me about it. Yes, TIGER2008 has
been improved greatly, especially geometry-wise (more lines, spatially
accurate) - how wonderful.

Though, as Edward wrote, I realized it isn't easy to use TIGER2008 for
geocoding. I thought it's just a matter of joining associated tables
(EDGES/FEATNAMES/FACES) and merge fields in ArcGIS, but I was wrong. The
main problem for me was the one-to-many relationship between EDGES and
FEATNAMES. (In fact, EDGES's Prime Key TLID isn't unique - i.e. there
are quite a few duplicate TLIDs in EDGES, looks like it's because the
edges are between two counties - so, it's actually many-to-many
relationship.) Since ArcGIS cannot handle one-to-many outer join (i.e.
ArcGIS will grab only the first matching row information, not all
matching rows), you would need another software that you are comfortable
to use, statistical software or DBMS such as access or foxpro (my
choice), so that you won't lose useful information/rows from FEATNAMES
table.

It worked for me in the end but I spent a whole weekend to do this. I
think it's better if we can geocode addressed using relational
geodatabase in ArcGIS, not using single-table shapefiles (i.e. streets)
so that we can keep table relationships without combining to create a
large and un-normalized single table (i.e. shapefiles.) I don't know if
I can do that without ArcSDE though, and I would love to know how to do
it. Or, I can just wait until ESRI releases a new version of StreetMap
N.America dataset based on TIGER 2008..

Or, as Edward pointed out, we can use third-party geocoding tools. I
think the USC website is wonderful. I don't know if the USC geocoder is
based on TIGER 2008, though.

I was a fan of batchgeocoder but later, I found some inaccurate results.
I also like to be able to select candidates for ambiguous addresses..
kind of..

One more thing: at the end, I wanted to know how good my result was - I
tested my final TIGER2008 Chicago area roads data to geocode Chicago
area addresses, and then compare the result with that of the ESRI 2008
StreetMap N. America streets dataset (from ESRI Data & Maps 9.3,
TeleAtlas base. *Not* a premium version.) To be fair, I clipped ESRI
2008 StreetMap streets using the same 7 counties boundaries. Then I
geocoded the addresses under same conditions (i.e. same method: US
Streets with City, State and ZIP, same thresholds, no alias tables,
etc.) The results: Unmatched cases(%) without interactive matching,
TIGER2008: 5,574 (23%) vs. ESRI2008: 5,650 (23%), total N was 24,158.
Happily, TIGER2008 did slightly better than ESRI 2008 StreetMap, though
the difference was minuscule.. (The reason for the high unmatched cases
is because my addresses contained out-of-the-extent addresses, such as
outside state addresses.)

Just in case, here is what I did to create the Chicago metropolitan area
(7 counties) geocodable streets. Please feel free to correct me if I am
doing wrong.

Also, if anybody wants the final data, you can download the Chicago
metropolitan area TIGER2008 street file from here (no metadata..)
http://www.library.northwestern.edu/map/TIGER2008_NE7CO_ROADS.zip (64MB)

[Note: I didn't bother to add a extra address-ranges table (ADDR) since
dealing with just three tables was enough for me. Well, I guess FACES is
optional too, but it's good to include additional left/right side
polygon attributes for those who like to aggregate data based on
boundaries, i.e. tracts, blocks.]

(1) In ArcGIS : append 6 counties EDGES shapefiles to the main county
(cook county.) Select road edges only ([roadflg]='Y') and also get rid
of miscellaneous road types we don't want to use, i.e. alleys and misc.
trails ((MID([MMTFCC],1,3)='S17'OR (MID([MMTFCC],1,3)='S18') and then
finally add a new identifier field, FID2 (copy value from FID), to keep
a unique ID key for each polyline.

(2) In DBMS software: append all 7 counties' FEATNAMES tables. Do the
same for the 7 counties' FACES tables. Create a query, [EDGES left outer
join FEATNAMES on EDGES.TLID=FEATNAMES.TLID]. From FEATNAMES, you will
get parsed road information (dir, pretype, name, surfix, type) with
variations of street names. (i.e. "E. Main St" in Cook County is also
known as "W County Line Rd", "Main St", "Lake-Cook Rd", etc. We want all
these variations/rows for better geocoding results.) After that, I got
left and right sides face/polygon information by joining EDGE-FEATNAMES
table and FACES, twice (left side, and then right side) - this part is
straightforward since it's all one-to-one relationship.

(3) Optional - In DBMS software: You can further continue to query
(join) to get textual place and state abbreviation names, i.e.
"Chicago", and "IL". Get the information from other TIGER tables (i.e.
COUNTY or PLACE.) Also, you may want to rename fields so that ArcGIS can
recognize geocodable fields (i.e. instead of LFROMADD, change it to
L_F_ADD).

(4) In DBMS software: find duplicate FID2 (unique identifier for EDGE
shapefile polylines), and separate the duplicate sets by the number of
duplicate (i.e. group1: duplicate 1, group2: duplicate 2, group3:
duplicate 3, etc.. I found up to 9 duplicate name groups as a result of
EDGES-FEATNAMES one-to-many joining.. I am not sure if this part makes
sense to anybody..)

(5) In ArcGIS: join EDGES polylines from (1) and the first group of the
EDGE-FEATNAMES-FACES joined table from (4) using a common field,
EDGES.FID and EDGES-FEATNAMES-FACES.FID2. Export as EDGES_1. Remove the
previous join in EDGES polylines and join EDGES and the second group of
EDGE-FEATNAMES-FACE (duplicate group 2) and then export only the joined
rows (i.e. only rows with matching join fields) as EDGES_2. Repeat this
for all duplicate group tables. Lastly, merge all EDGES groups (EDGES_1,
EDGES_2, EDGES_3, etc.) by appending others to one.

(6) Optional: I added a spatial index in ArcCatalog for faster rendering
in ArcGIS. TIGER files don't come with these index files, .sbn & .sbx. I
didn't add any attribute indexes since "create a geocode locator" will
create indexes for geocoding.

Sincerely,
Chieko
--