From:
Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Lynette Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 07:02:59 -0800
Many map catalogers are already familiar with
"Cartographic Materials: A Manual of Interpretation
for AACR2," 2002 revision, published by ALA Editions
( http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=2257 )

Now that the book, "RDA and Cartographic Resources"
( http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=3542 )
has been published, we three co-authors of that book do want
map catalogers to know that in no way did we attempt
to shoehorn all 400 pages of the Manual into our book; instead, we concentrated on
differences between how maps are cataloged
in RDA as contrasted with AACR2.

This means the Manual is still extremely useful;
it covers many map-cataloging best practices upon
which RDA either does not touch or does so only briefly.
As but one example, how to choose which title
is the title proper when one is dealing with two
or more map titles is well covered and clear
in Cartographic Materials, but not in RDA.
And the differences in map cataloging
between RDA and AACR2 are mainly in the details.

Further, the Manual is NOT going to be revised.
The Anglo-American Cataloguing Committee for
Cartographic Materials (AACCCM) decided that,
while as mentioned in the previous paragraph the
differences between AACR2 and RDA are in the details,
the arrangement of RDA is so different from the
arrangement of AACR2 (which latter the Manual follows)
that the entire Manual would have had to have been
rewritten to make sense of it all.

So, if you catalog maps in your library, and either don't
have a copy of Cartographic Materials, or need more copies,
now is a good time to order the Manual, since it may go out of print in 2015.

Do let any of the three of us know if you have any questions on this matter.

Paige Andrew [log in to unmask]
Susan Moore [log in to unmask]
Mary Larsgaard [log in to unmask]

--