From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:18:13 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:27:40 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cartographic Perspectives, No. 38, Winter 2001 <fwd>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

David,

Probably a lot of people have not gotten to the back of the issue where
this immature screed against an entire profession was placed. Having been
in map librarianship for longer than this youngster has even been on the
mapped earth, I was mightily annoyed at the multiple uses of the "gross
generalization" to slander all map libraries and librarians as a class.

Sadly, this could have been a landmark article in the front of the
magazine, and a landmark in the literature had the tone been professional,
stimulating, challenging and positive. The bitter, judgemental tone makes
one wonder what incident precipitated this response.

I assume this young man is trying to lead map librarians somewhere.
Successful leadership is characterized by modeling and inspiration, not to
mention identification with those being led. [sorry to be simplistic here,
I do not actually find time to read the mounds of "leadership literature"
out there].Successful leaders do not horsewhip their followers. They
inspire. They provide a vision, or work with the group to jointly create a
vision for future action, leading to [choke] "new paradigms."  I would not
follow this youngster anywhere to any paradigm.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

                    Johnnie
                    Sutherland            To:     [log in to unmask]
                    <jsutherl@arche       cc:
                    s.uga.edu>            Subject:     Cartographic Perspectives, No. 38,
                    Sent by: Maps          Winter 2001 <fwd>
                    and Air Photo
                    Systems Forum
                    <MAPS-L@LISTSER
                    V.UGA.EDU>