From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:03:37 -0500
Subject:        RE: Map Cabinets - How High?
Date:   Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:59:23 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Regarding staff and users access to top drawers in high stacks:

Highsmith sells a very nice ladder on spring mounted casters.  It is light in weight, moves easily on both hard floors and on carpeting.  It is stable when one stands on it.  It has four steps, with a hand rail on each side.  There is also a horizontal rail at the back of the platform that is easy to lean against when additional leverage is needed.

I bought it when I still had to use plan files with vertically mounted folders.  Since adding flat files with drawers it is useful even for 15-drawer stacks.  And it is indispensable for 20-drawer stacks.

Ken

Ken Grabach                         <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA