Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 16:30:08 EDT
     I am afraid I left the wrong impression about the USGS 800 number.
     When I have used the 800 number it has worked as it is supposed to.  I
     have, however, always received excellent, helpful, courteous service
     from Rolla and Denver.  Working through the message box system of the
     800 number just does not have the same feel.

     Allen

This message is from John Shanton at USGS.--------------Johnnie

I'm sorry to hear that there is a problem with the use of the 1 800 USA-MAPS
number.  We average 1200 to 1300 calls per week at this number.  With a
limited staff we try to answer as many as possible as soon as the phone
rings.  If the customers using this number would listen for a few moments
they might be able to get thru to the message box that would give them the
answer they need.  There are message boxes, that you may leave your name and
phone #, and we will respond within 24 Hrs.

Last but not least please feel free to access the USGS home page at:
http://www.usgs.gov/

John Shanton, Chief
Earth Science Information Center
US Geological Survey