From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Weessies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:18:30 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:09:28 -0400
From: Kathleen Weessies <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Stacking Map Cases <fwd>
Sender: Kathleen Weessies <[log in to unmask]>

I suspect a lot of libraries have cabinets stacked 5 high.  Much of my
collection is, but the 5 units plus a small pedestal only come to about 7
feet high.  They present some inconvenience, of course, in that we have to
roll over some stairs to reach the top drawers, but other than that they
have not presented a problem.  We have 3 rolling stairs (5-6 steps?) so one
is never farther than about 20 yards away.  Once in an attempt to save time,
a student worker dragged over a chair, stepped on the edge wrong, and almost
fell.  My ceiling is only about 9' high, so 8.5' cabinets would present a
definite problem in being able to look into the top drawer.

Kathleen Weessies
Maps/GIS Librarian
Library 100
Michigan State University