From:
Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:16:12 EDT
Collegues;

We finally have worked out (I think) how we handle the DOQQs on the
MAGIC site.  Please take a look and offer feedback.

Some background:

1. We devised a little program that creates the ASCII "header" file which
is a synthesis of the coordinate data the user needs to get started.
If anyone is interested in this, let me know and we can give you the
code, I believe.

2.  We changed the DOQQ extension to .jpg and found that viewers and
machines capable of handling files of this size could handle it. RAM,
RAM, RAM!   If you can, open it from Netscape's Browser after it is
on your machine and extracted from the ZIP file.

3. We did not squeeze the image file, but inserted it into the zipped
package.  There was so little gain in zipping it and this option
might have benefits down the road.

Please try and download and start you stop watch.  I would be
interested in learning how long it takes to bring these across the
net.

Where are they:

MAGIC is http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/

These data are located on the Quad Index map by county, so after the
MAGIC Home Page, go to the "Connecticut Geo-Spatial Data"  then go to
the county map.  To date we have Windham, Tolland, Litchfield and
Fairfield Counties up... all we have received.  Then go to the quad map,
the bottom one on the county page.

They are taking up a little more than 1 Gb on a Unix server.  This is the
first time MAGIC has served up material stored on two platforms in
two operating systems and, the most difficult, in two departments.  Ta da!

We expect to add DRGs this week and, from the Connecticut Dept. of
Enviromental Protection and the U.S. Soil Conservation Service, the
soils coverages at 1:24,000 for Eastern Connecticut later in the
Summer.  In the fall, I expect we will offer DRGs joined and clipped to town
outlines... finally providing topographic coverage by town, free of
the constraints of 7.5 minutes.  It's getting very exciting.

Please check it out and offer feedback.  I've probably thought of it,
but it is hard to know what the user is seeing out there.

Patrick

Patrick McGlamery
Map Librarian
Map and Geographic Information Center