From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:27:03 EDT
4 messages.--------------Johnnie

>From: Pat Horn Fell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Scale conversion
>Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:10:36 -0700

According to Geoff Armitage's Conversion table of measurements, available
at Jan Smits' useful page of Mathematical data for bibliographic
descriptions at http://www.konbib.nl/kb/skd/skd/mathemat.htm, a German mile
is equal to approximately 7,649,000 millimeters.
Cheers,
        Pat Fell

>From: Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 7:38:24 +100
>Subject: Scale conversion (A)

German miles are 15 to one degree at the equator, i.e. appr. 7.4
km.

For other scale conversion see:

http://www.konbib.nl/kb/skd/skd/mathemat.htm

Jan Smits
Map Curator Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of The
Netherlands
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:03:39 +0200
>From: Peter van der Krogt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Scale conversion

Dear Cathi

15 German miles make one degree, thus 1 German mile is 111/15 = 7.4 kms.

For this kind of questions, Jan Smits of the Royal Library, The Hague,
maintains a web page Mathematical data for bibliographic description, with
scale conversions, see

http://www.konbib.nl/kb/skd/skd/mathemat.htm

Peter

At 15:23 22-06-98 EDT, you wrote:
>Fellow map catalogers:
>
>I'm modifying an OCLC record for our local system concerning a 1759
>map of Virginia, Maryland and Carolina by Johann Baptist Homann.  All
>text is in Latin, but the map was published in Germany and the scale is in
>German miles ("Milliaria Germanica"). This is the first map I've run across
>to specify German miles.  Can anyone help me with conversion to a
>representative fraction or suggest a source?  Any help is most
>appreciated!
>
>Cathi Carmack
>Cataloger, Archives & Manuscripts
>Tennessee State Library and Archives

Visit the MapHist WWW page
<http://kartoserver.geog.uu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/maphist.htm>

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Dr Peter van der Krogt
Map Historian, Explokart Research Program
Faculty of Geographical Sciences, University of Utrecht
P.O. Box 80.115
3508 TC  UTRECHT, The Netherlands
<http://kartoserver.geog.uu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/krogt.htm>
e-mail: [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]
Fax +31 15 212 6063
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PER ANGUSTA AD AUGUSTA YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:26:02 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Velma Parker)
>Subject: Re: Scale conversion

Hi Cathi
I checked "For good measure" by William D. Johnstone and the only
reference there was to the Roman milliarium which equals 0.918561 statute
miles or 1.4782829 kilometres.

I also checked "Dictionnaire universel des poids et mesures anciens et
modernes" published by Meridian in 1965.  They too refer to the Roman
measure which they equate to 1.4725 kilometres.  I looked up both  "mille"
and "lieu" because this book says that Germany used these terms
interchangably.  However, there was nothing specific to Germany under
"mille".  The reference to Germany under "lieue" is as follows:
Allemagne.  La lieue (meile) geographique [forgive the lack of accents] ou
geometrique repond a un arc de 4', et contient 4000 pas geometriques.  =
7.4089 kilometres or 4.6038 statute miles.
        Grande lieue de 5' = 5.7547 miles or 9.2612 kilometres
        La lieue de 20000 pieds du Rhin = 3.9005 or 6.2771 kilometres"

I could find no other references.  To see if one of these measures is the
right one, you could test by picking out two points on the 1759 map and
determine the distance between them on a modern map. Then compare the two
distances.  There is a formula in appendix B of "Cartographic Materials
an interpretation of AACR2" which should help. In case you do not have
this work the formula is as follows:
n = (m x a) divided by b.
n= demominator of the scale fraction of map with unknown scale
m = demoinator of the scale fraction of map with known scale
a = distance measured on map with the known scale between 2 identifiable
points
b = distance measured on map with the unknown scale between the same
identifiable points.

If you do the test, I would be interested in your results as we are
revising "Cartographic materials" and will be adding more older linear
equivalencies.  Knowing that the German milliaria is or is not equivalent
to the roman millarium would be useful information.

Good luck

Velma Parker

>Fellow map catalogers:
>
>I'm modifying an OCLC record for our local system concerning a 1759
>map of Virginia, Maryland and Carolina by Johann Baptist Homann.  All
>text is in Latin, but the map was published in Germany and the scale is in
>German miles ("Milliaria Germanica"). This is the first map I've run across
>to specify German miles.  Can anyone help me with conversion to a
>representative fraction or suggest a source?  Any help is most
>appreciated!
>
>Cathi Carmack
>Cataloger, Archives & Manuscripts
>Tennessee State Library and Archives

Velma Parker
National Archives of Canada
[log in to unmask]   Internet: [log in to unmask]
(613)996-7611  Fax: (613)995-6575