Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 1995 17:29:44 EDT
 Are any mapsters riding the campus circuit as in the example below?
          I'd like to find out who, how, what(ever). LC

Thank you for your interest in my ACRL poster session on faculty office
hours.  The text of my handout is included below.  If you have further
questions, please contact me.

REACHING OUT TO FACULTY:  LIBRARY OFFICE HOURS IN ACADEMIC
DEPARTMENTS
ACRL Poster Session
March 1995

Lucia Snowhill, Social Sciences Collection Coordinator
Davidson Library
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA  93106
805/893-8724

In Fall 1993, I established office hours in the Political Science
Department to increase my visibility with faculty and to provide a
convenient way to train faculty on online library and information systems.
The increased visibility among faculty and other department personnel has
been very advantageous in increasing my knowledge of the department and in
faculty awareness of the range of services and responsibilities I have.
The longterm goal is to change faculty perceptions of the library as a
place and as printed information to a service and access to information
regardless of format.

SPACE and EQUIPMENT:

Space:  Department computer/fax room

Location:  Central to administrative functions in the Department--across
from the mail room

Equipment:  PC wired to the campus network

Supplies:  Copies of standard library guides to services and systems

The space I use is shared with others, and normally used for other
reasons.  It is centrally located in the department, which improves
visibility and opportunities for interaction.

HOURS
Two hours per week--one each on separate days.

Specific hours were selected to:

   fit MWF and Tth schedules of faculty

   fit times faculty are most visible--around mail delivery times

   fit morning and afternoon schedules

Maintain same schedule quarter to quarter to build consistency

TYPES OF ASSISTANCE

   Instruction on use of online systems--library catalogs, Internet, some
basic e- mail

   Consultation on research projects and course assignments

   Specific collection development requests

   Exchange of department and campus news/issues

A portion of the time each week is spent circulating in the halls, mail
room and administrative offices to follow up on requests, get department
news, and chat informally with department personnel.

OBSERVATIONS & ADVANTAGES

   Convenience for faculty, staff and graduate students

   Greatly increased visibility and familiarity among faculty, graduate
students and staff

   Opportunities for informal interaction with faculty, graduate students
and staff

   Heightened awareness of the range of library services and resources

   Expanded perception of the librarian's role in information services and
instruction

   Inclusion in department communications--mailings and notices

The greatest advantage is the growing familiarity and visibility among
faculty.  It improves my ability to work effectively on collections and in
providing appropriate services for the department.

Lucia Snowhill
Reference Services
Davidson Library
University of California