From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:06:58 -0600
Subject:        RE: Flat file locking cabinet
Date:   Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:38:20 -0500
From:   Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Yes, I've recently been on exactly the same journey (except sans Sanborn).  The Mayline solution is by far the most economical.  The part is available through several outlets, and they seem to vary in price between $50-ish to $99-ish.

I also received a quote from a company more than happy to build me a custom cabinet with each drawer having its own locking mechanism.  $1,900 for a 5-drawer unit.  It surely would look better, and if you need new cabinets anyway and have money then this would be a nice solution.

Years ago our university Physical Plant slapped some hardware on the outside of a 4-tier (20 drawer) map cabinet so that we have a padlock holding an iron bar across the front.  I feel like a saw a photo of this solution back in the literature somewhere.  It works fine and has some visual authority, but isn't pretty.

I can get you further details on any of these if you want them,

Kathleen Weessies
Geosciences Librarian
Head, Map Library
Michigan State University