From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:59:25 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:19:24 +0100
From: Anne Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Stolen Atlas
Sender: Anne Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

[The following message has been cross-posted to various lists. We
apologise for this but hope that the need for as wide a distribution as
possible will be appreciated. I will also be contacting the ABA and
IAMA]

At about 1pm on Tuesday 16 July the following pocket atlas appears to
have been stolen from Cambridge University Library Map Department.

'A prospect of the most famous parts of the world, viz. Asia Africa
Europe America'
1646

*bound with:*

'England Wales Scotland and Ireland described and abridged from a farr
larger volume done by John Speed'.
1627 reissued in [1646]

The latter is described as item 37 in R. A. Skelton's 'County atlases of
the British Isles 1579-1703'

- We believe the volume to have a leather binding.
- It is small ca. 11 x 16 cm
- There will be a Cambridge University Library ownership stamp in the
volume (on the back of the title page and elsewhere but we do not know
if the maps are stamped)
- We do not believe that the maps are coloured

Please contact me off-list for further details.

The police have been informed.

Thank you

Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor
Head of the Map Department
Cambridge University Library
West Road                       Tel: +44 (0)1223-333041
Cambridge                       Fax: +44 (0)1223-333160
CB3 9DR ENGLAND                 email: [log in to unmask]
                                www.lib.cam.ac.uk
--- End Forwarded Message ---