From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:39:16 -0500
Subject:        Re: Loaning GPS units
Date:   Fri, 2 Nov 2012 13:35:36 -0400
From:   Jeff Essic <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

NCSU Libraries has been circulating GPS units I think about 5-6 years
now as part of our Tech Lending service -
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/techlending.  We started with 10 handheld units
that were very popular, and then added 10 car units which were also
popular.  We've added additional units since then, and I've lost count
of where we are now.  However, I think the popularity has waned in
recent years since GPS is more ubiquitous on other devices.

We have always placed a high priority on patrons who have special needs
for them.  For instance, occasionally a faculty member will want to use
them for a workshop so we'll begin holding all the units about 2 weeks
out so that when the time comes, they will have what they need.  Also,
students sometimes ask for longer check out periods for their travel,
which we always accommodate.

Jeff Essic
Data Services Librarian
North Carolina State University
D.H. Hill Library, Research & Information Services
Box 7111, Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
(919) 515-5698
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/gis