From:
David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 16:13:12 EDT
We are in the planning stages for an off-site storage facility for
the University Library.  The issue of "superseded" materials, maps
and charts in particular, has been raised by the administration.

As a regional depository, we have retained at least one copy of all
maps and charts that have been distributed since the map depository
program was set up in 1896.  We can not say that we have every map,
due to moves and responsible departments over the past 100 years, but
we generally have complete runs of titles.

The question is who else has complete sets and what materials should
be discarded?  According to the "Superceded List" from GPO, most
everything that has been revised could be discarded.  Some obvious
things such as the U.S.G.S. topographic maps should be kept for
historical research purposes, but what about aeronautical charts that
are issued every few weeks?  Our old nautical charts are used all the
time by coastal researchers, but we are a "coastal" state and have
marine institutes at the University and along the coast.

Some in the administration have suggested that we only keep regional
materials and have patrons visit the sites they are studying or
request a photo copy of any maps or charts that we do not maintain.

These are issues that most of us have to face, unless you have
unlimited space and money.  Could those of you who discard maps and
charts give me a quick rundown of what titles are not retained?  If
you have a written policy, could you please fax or mail that to me?
I am sure the List would like to see some of the comments, so feel
free to reply directly to MAPS-L.  I will compile the responses I
receive and provide a summary for the List.  I will also gather all
the written policies that I receive and make them available to those
attending the Special Libraries Association meeting in Indianapolis,
June 6 - 11.

Thank you for your input on this very important subject.

David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian
Thomas Cooper Library
Division of Libraries and Information Systems
University of South Carolina
Columbia, S.C.  29208

Phone: (803) 777-4723
Fax: (803) 777-4661