From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:03:26 -0600
Subject:        Re: Shipping lists issues
Date:   Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:43:39 -0500
From:   John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hi Bonnie,

We've noticed some charts distributed out of sequence lately. The cause
is not clear, but may be related to when GPO receives stock.

A more subtle problem occurs when two charts are published in the same
year. Libraries may mistakenly supersede the current edition because
SuDocs classification would make a second distributed chart's class end
with [year]-2 (e.g., "/2007-2") even if it were an earlier edition.

Since charts issued triennially or more frequently are now being
cataloged as serial maps, a good way to avoid problems is to include the
edition in the serial holdings. When receiving a new edition, comparing
its edition to the chart edition recorded in the holdings will determine
whether it's really the latest edition or not.

John

--
John A. Stevenson
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit