From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:03:26 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005
From: "David McQuillan" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: IFLA - Oslo Draft Schedule

The early registration deadline for the IFLA - Oslo World Library and
Information Congress is Sunday, May 1st.  Here is a draft of the program
for planning purposes [see below].  As more details come available, I will post them
on Maps-L.

Don't forget the May 11 IFLA Workshop on Paper Maps at the Library of
Congress.  For more information go to www.ifla.org, click on activities,
then sections, then Geography and Map Libraries, scroll down to see the
workshop agenda.  Note that morning times are shifted due to entrance
procedures at the Library of Congress.  The papers will start at 9:00
a.m. and the break is shortened to 10:10 - 10:30 a.m.

Contact me if you need additional information on IFLA activities.

David C. McQuillan, chair
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
(IFLA)
Geography and Map Libraries Section

David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian
Thomas Cooper Library
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC  29201

Phone:  (803) 777-4723
Fax:  (803) 777-4661
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

COPY AND PASTED FROM A WORD DOCUMENT ATTACHED TO THE ORIGINAL EMAIL TO
MAPS-L

DRAFT SCHEDULE

World Library and Information Congress

Geography and Map Libraries Section
71st IFLA General Conference and Council
Oslo Spektrum
Oslo, Norway
2005

Friday, August 12

15:00 – 18:00
Special Libraries Division Coordinating Board I (#4)

Saturday, August 13

8:30 – 11:20
Genealogy and Local History Section Standing Committee I (#14)

14:30 – 17:20
Geography and Map Libraries Section Standing Committee I (#46)

18:00 – 19:00
National Caucuses

Canada (#57)
French Speaking (#58)
German Speaking (#59)
Netherlands Speaking (#60)
Portuguese Speaking (#61)
CIS (#62)
Nordic Countries (#63)
UK (#64)
USA (#65)
Africa, Asia & Oceania, and Latin America & Carribbean (#66)
Spanish Speaking (#67)
Chinese Speaking (#68)

Evening
Reception for IFLA Officers (on invitation only)

Sunday, August 14

10:45 – 12:45
Opening Ceremony
Oslo Spektrum

16:00 – 16:30
Special Libraries Coordinating Board Extra Meeting

16:00 – 18:00
Exhibition Opening
Oslo Spektrum

Monday, August 15

Morning
Oslo Walking Tour (*)
3 hours – Euro 20

Afternoon
National Library Opening

Tuesday, August 16

8:30 – 10:30
Joint Program – Genealogy and Local History/Geography and Map Libraries
Sections
Navigating the World of Our Ancestors (Part 1)

1) Using GIS to Map Genealogical Data: Getting Started
ANITA K. OSER (Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC, USA)

2) English Jurisdictions Project and Prototype
STEPHEN C. YOUNG (Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, USA)

3) Presenting Maps and Other Spatial Information on the Internet
PETER KORSGAARD (National Survey and Cadastre, Copenhagen, Denmark)

4) Building Globally Distributed Historical Sheet Map Set
PATRICK MCGLAMERY (University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA)

10:45 – 12:45
Joint Program – Genealogy and Local History/Geography and Map Libraries
Sections
Navigating the World of Our Ancestors (Part 2)

5) Inclusivity of the Marginalized – Irish Travellers and the
Education Initiatives of the University of Limerick
MICHAEL O’hAODHA (Electronics University of Limerick,
Limerick, Ireland)

6) Navigating the World of Ancestors: Resources for Chinese –
Canadian Genealogical Research
JANET TOMKINS (Vancouver Public Library, Vancouver,
British Columbia, Canada)

7) The Power of DNA: Discovering Lost and Hidden
Relationships
UGO A. PEREGO (Sorensen Molecular Genealogy Foundation,
Salt Lake City, UT, USA)

8) Cultural Heritage Institutions Facilitating the Navigation of the
World of Our Ancestors, Or Can Archivists, Librarians,
Museologists and Computer Scientists Join Hands to Do a
Better Job?
SANJICA FALETAR (J.J. Strossmayer University, Osijek,
Croatia)

9) Local History World Wide: An International Internet Inventory
RAGNHILD HUTCHISON (The Norwegian Institute of Local History, Oslo, Norway)

13:00 – 14:30
Lunch

17:00 – 18:00
Officers’ Training Session I

19:30 – 22:30
Cultural Evening
Norwegian Folk Museum

Wednesday, August 17

Morning
Fjord Tour (*)
2 Hours – Euro 45

11:00 – 14:00
Library Visits

The Oslo City Archives

Norwegian National Library

16:00 – 18:00
Basic Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for Librarians

Evening
Mayor’s Reception

Thursday, August 18

Morning
Norwegian Navigators Tour (*)
3 Hours – Euro 40

12:00 – 13:30
Lunch

14:00 – 15:50
Closing Session

16:00 – 18:00
IFLA Council II
Friday, August 19

Morning
Oslo City Cultural Tour (*)
3 Hours – Euro 37

14:00 – 16:50
Geography and Map Libraries Section Standing Committee II

17:00 – 18:30
Special Libraries Division Coordinating Board II

*[NOTE: Tours marked with (*) are IFLA sponsored tours and should be
selected for the days and times indicated, so that G&M Section members
can tour as a group.]

The 72nd IFLA General Conference and Council will be held from August 20
through August 24, 2006 in Seoul, South Korea. Future conferences are:
Durban, South Africa, August 2007; and Quebec, Canada, August 2008.
Check www.ifla.org for more information.