From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:11:59 -0400
Subject: FW:      scale statement in cataloging maps]
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:49:53 +1000
From: Maura O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

Dear Angie

The National Library of Australia follows the latest rule in the
"Cartographic material: a manual of interpretation for AACR2 2002
revision".

In both "AACR2 (2002 revision)" and "Cartographic material: a manual of
interpretation for AACR2 2002 revision" the rules are:

3.3B5
If an item is not drawn to scale, give 'Not drawn to scale'. Do not
estimate a scale.
This information in MARC goes into the 255 field only

3.3B4
For more than 2 scales use 'Scales differ'
Library of Congress use 'Scales differ' as stated in "Cartographic
material: a manual of interpretation for AACR2 2002 revision"

Our main tool of reference is :
Cartographic materials : a manual of interpretation for AACR2, 2002
revision / prepared by the Anglo-American Cataloguing Committee for
Cartographic Materials ; Elizabeth U. Mangan, editor.

Edition: 2nd ed.
Publisher: Chicago : American Library Association, 2003.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia