Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 17:10:45 EDT
Dear All,

It is with some sadness that I record the following announced
yesterday (29th June 1995) by Eddie Bell, Chairman, HarperCollins
UK Ltd.

                    BARTHOLOMEW, HARPERCOLLINS CARTOGRAPHIC

As part of the restructuring currently in progress throughout
HarperCollins UK, it has been decided that Bartholomew, the
Cartographic Division of the company, will be relocated from
the present site in Edinburgh to the main HarperCollins site
at Bishopbriggs near Glasgow. To this end the premises in
Edinburgh (The Edinburgh Geographical Institute) have now been
sold and the division will move to Glasgow by October.
This does not affect the sales and marketing office of the division
based in Hammersmith, London, or the Cheltenham office (London and
Great Britain map products).

End of Formal Announcement.

I say with some sadness since this will mark the end of the 170 year
association between Bartholomew and the city of Edinburgh, and also
almost 80 years in the current building. This was custom designed
by the Bartholomew family and even incorporates the elaborate Georgian
portico and entrance hall (in Greek temple style) taken from the family
home in Morningside when it was demolished in 1905.

At the moment it would appear that the majority of the staff will
transfer to that great rival in the west (i.e. Glasgow - there is
a long history of undeclared warfare between the two cities), so
business should continue much as usual.

All is not gloom since we should get far more modern premises laid
out for all the computers, etc now essential to cartography.

I will give new addresses nearer the time. In the meantime don't
forget that you can contact me with any queries or requests and I
will pass them on. Also the new GB Maps on CD product is still
available free of charge for evaluation.

Finally, coinciding with our move will be the publication of our
stunning all new Times Concise Atlas 7th Edition price 40 pounds.
This has been completely GIS/DTP produced. I am impressed so I hope
you all will be too and that it will ensure that Bartholomew continue
as before to be one of the world's leading cartographic businesses. (I
think you will find it far better than e.g.the Hammond or Phillips
equivalents - no offence meant but I think it is!).

with best wishes,

Tim Rideout
Bartholomew