Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:59:13 -0600
forwarded message from lis-maps
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        National Library of Scotland map images - change of URLs
Date:   Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:51:38 -0000
From:   Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l

*** Apologies for cross-posting ***

From today, all internal URLs for the map images within the National Library of Scotland Digital Library have changed, in effect so that their "/digitallibrary/map" sections have been removed.

Our main maps home page http://www.nls.uk/maps address is still the same, but most other addresses within this section have been simplified so that their "/digitallibrary/map" components are gone. Automatic redirects are in place for the foreseeable future for all old addresses to minimise the inconvenience of existing links to the old URLS on the site, but we would recommend that any existing links to our site with "/digitallibrary/map" are renamed.

We apologise for this change, which the Map Library has resisted for at least a year, but it has been forced upon us by the need to reorganise the National Library of Scotland website, and to optimise URL lengths and content to improve search engine rankings.

Please contact me off list if there are any queries about this.

Many thanks,

Chris Fleet
Deputy Map Curator
National Library of Scotland
33 Salisbury Place
EDINBURGH
EH9 1SL
United Kingdom.

Tel. 0131 623 3973
Fax. 0131 623 3971
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

View maps website: http://www.nls.uk/maps

Visit the National Library of Scotland online at www.nls.uk
This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the ICT Helpdesk on
+44 131 623 3700 or [log in to unmask] and delete this e-mail.  The
statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Library of
Scotland.  This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998
and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and has been
scanned by MessageLabs.