From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caplan,Ellen
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:19:19 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:43:39 -0500
>From: "Caplan,Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: OCLC-MARC Tagging from TB227 implemented

The following is for those of you who enter records for cartographic
materials on OCLC.

The changes to OCLC-MARC tagging described in Technical Bulletin 227 were
installed for use in the online system on 1998 October 25.  You should have
received a paper copy.  If not, please check the web version at
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/tb/tb227/frames_man.htm.

In addition to the changes announced in Technical Bulletin 227, OCLC is
validating new codes for use with the fixed field element "Fict", used in
Books format records.  The change will facilitate exchange of records with
other systems.  This should not affect map users, but I wanted to make you
aware of the additional change.  The change for this element is described
below, on OCLC System News, and at
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/bit/220/oct98.htm#Additional_Changes_to_OCLCMARC_Bi
bliographic_Update_1998.

Change the name of "Fict" to 'Literary Form'

Define codes
   c  Comic strips
   d  Dramas
   e  Essays
   f  Novels
   h  Humor, satires, etc.
   i  Letters
   j  Short stories
   m  Mixed forms
   p  Poetry
   s  Speeches
   u  Unknown

Redefine codes
   0  Not fiction (not further specified)
   1  Fiction (not further specified

Users may choose to use either the generic codes (0 and 1) to identify
whether
or not the item is a work of fiction or the alphabetic codes to identify
specific literary forms.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Ellen

Ellen R. Caplan
OCLC, Inc.
Collections & Technical Services Division
6565 Frantz Rd.
Dublin OH  43017
800-848-5878 (voice)
614-718-7178 (fax)