From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:46:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Setting Library Scanning Fees]
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:38:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask], Karen S <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
At Miami (Ohio) University, our fees are for printing, only.  Copies
from
plain paper copiers, most black&white, but at least one color copier is
available, the cost is $.07 per page.  I think that the color copier can
be reformatted to larger sizes of paper.

We have a large format plotter, 36" wide, that prints from a roll, so
that
the length is unlimited.  This uses a special high gloss coated paper.
The cost for printing from this is $3.00 per foot of length.  The prints
are poster quality.  We do not have a set up especially for maps,
something I would like to see, but the expense is so very high for these
pieces of equipment.  The most frequent use of this equipment is by art
and architecture students, although a variety of other uses have come
up.
The libraries are often clients, as well, for making posters.

These fees are the same for everybody.  Costs from the large plotter can
be charged to account numbers for departments, or numbers for grants,
etc.

There are no fees for scanning.  Therefore, if someone scans an image,
map
or otherwise, and saves the file, there is no charge from the library.
They can purchase a CD or DVD from the library, or they can bring their
own to use for storing the image file.

I would like to see a large scanner, and a large format plotter using
plain paper, available for use with maps, both printed and electronic,
but
that will have to be in future planning.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA