From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:59:21 -0500
Subject: Re: MINES : MAPS: Grant to Fund Mine Map Database]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:21:24 -0700
From: \"Christopher J.J. Thiry\" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I talked to the folks at MSHA regarding this issue.  Most "mining" states
received grants to scan and digitize old coal mining maps.  The scope of
the
projects varies from state to state.  Most projects are being run by each
state's bureau of mines (or similiar organization).  It is hoped that
once the
maps are scanned, they will be digitized and converted into a GIS format.
Eventually, the data and images will be mounted on various web sites.

--chris

--
Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map Librarian