From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:12:24 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:57:15 +1000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: the most borders <fwd>
Sender: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>

It USED to be China, tho France was a contender if one included its
'overseas departments' and extended its territorial waters.

China has:
Macao(Portugal),Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Pakistan,
Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzia, Kazakhstan, Russia, Mongolia, N. Korea.
whether HK counts still, I'm not sure. Taiwan occupies a couple of islands
in Chinese bays, tho it admits these aren't part of Taiwan province.
Chinese claims to the Spratlys put its waters in contact with those of
Malaysia, Philippines, Brunei and Indonesia, besides S.Korea & Japan
That's 15 definitely, and several others possibly

Russia has:
Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland
(Remember Kaliningrad is Russian still!), Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan,
China, Mongolia, N. Korea (only 5 or 10 km on land)
that's 14
its waters touch the US, amongst others (Japan)

France has:
Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switz, Italy, Monaco, Spain, Andorra, Holland
(St Maarten in the Caribbean is half French, half Dutch), Fr Guiana touches
Surinam and Brazil.
That's 11.
It is connected to England by the Chunnel (does this count? There is a
border marked in the tunnel)
Extend the waters of Guadeloupe, MArtinique, St Maarten, Fr Polynesia, New
Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, St Pierre et Miquelon, Kerguelen, Basses
d'Indie, etc, and one adds in a lot more: Australia, PNG, South Africa,
Madagascar, Tonga, Fiji,...Do the Channel Islands count separately? They
are enclaved in French waters.

Check the latest Guinness book...

Brendan Whyte
a border freak

> [...]