From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:54:16 EDT
3 messages.-------------------------------------------Johnnie.

>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:10:58 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: terminology

  Perhaps "enclave" is the correct (or at least "a" correct) term since in
implies an area within an other area.  "Exclave," on the other hand, implies a
detached portion of something else.  In many, if not most, cases, the
difference is which side of a border one is on; one country's exclave in an
enclave in another country.  The Baarles along the Netherland-Belgian border
are this sort of thing.  An exclave must belong to something, an enclave may be
self contained.
                                 J. B. Post

>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:48:30 -0600
>From: Dennis Fitzsimons <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: terminology

Sorry, but I do need to disagree here.  "Enclave" is the correct word.  The
term should not be applied when a portion of one country is within another;
only when one country is completely enclosed within foreign territory.

>I don't think "enclave" is the term ask for, since it mostly concern a very
>small portion of one country within another.
>The "curious staff member", I guess, asked for a term describing countries
>as San Marino, Vatican City and Lesotho, where the complete country is
>surrounded by a single other country (Italy and South Africa respectively)
>I think these three are the only countries having this feature, so I wonder
>if a special word exists.
>We must make one!

Dr. Dennis Fitzsimons
Department of Geography & Planning
Southwest Texas State University
San Marcos, TX  78666-4616
voice:  512.245.3200
fax:  512.245.8353
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:01:20 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: terminology

      I have a curious staff member who thinks there is a particular word
      that describes a single country that is surrounded geographically by
      another single country. Anybody know this term? >>

Just call it a "Lesotho" - after the country completely surrounded by South
Africa.