From:
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 10:51:11 -0500
Well, I think it's pretty well established that I'm terrible at putting
together surveys. In my latest installment of the Maps-L surveys I asked
about Map Libraries and Open House events.

Thank you to those who participated and shared your experiences. In
spite of my terrible question writing, I think there is some helpful
information gathered here. Results below ...

Stay tuned for the next installment ... how to process and store those
crazy cartographic oddities.

Survey #2
Map Library Open House
16 respondents

1. Have you ever participated in an open house for the map library where
you are currently employed?

11 yes
5 no

2. What audience was the open house for (check only one):
Faculty 0
Students 1
Library Staff 5
Community 2
Combined 2
Special group 1 (Friends of the Library)

3. Did you hold more than one open house in a season to accommodate
multiple groups?
Yes 5
No 6

4. What activities did you organize:
Tours 9
Presentation 4
Scavenger hunt 1
Map use activity 1
Other 5 :
a)computer geography games,
b)origami globes, coloring (kids),
c)collections and projects (?),
d)themed map displays, and sometimes joint hosting with other academic
units,
e) Displays tied to campus academic themes, to our own or other
exhibits, and to showcase maps by topic or place. Tours for donors.
Conferences that have some connection to the library or to the map
collections. Discussions and presentations of important acquisitions
twice annually.

5. Did you serve refreshments:
Both food and drink 6
None 5

6. What day of the week was your open house?
Monday 0
Tuesday 0
Wednesday 1
Thursday 1
Friday 2
Saturday 2
Sunday 0
More than one day 2
Don't remember 3

7. What time of the day?
Morning 0
Afternoon 9
Evening 1
All day 1

8. Was it well attended?
Yes 6
No 2
Sort of 3

9. What would you do differently next time?
a) nothing. it was great
b) add some how to use maps sessions, do more often!
c) We always say we could use more advertizing and signage to our Center
during open house days
d) Mine was aimed at library staff, but there was poor turnout, so next
time I want to have upper library administrators highly recommend or
require the library staff to attend.
e) I've done a Third Thursday each month for 6 years and have had great
interest including getting the attention of someone who ultimately
became the donor for our new library. I don't have the time that I used
to so my outreach has gone down and attendance has followed. I will
likely to 1-2 per semester next year with specific event tie-ins.