From:
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:43:20 EST
2 messages.------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:36:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: Connie Manson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: response to "Carto-humor" posted Jan 28,1998

I invite all you map junkies out there to carefully check your copies of
our Geologic Map 34, "Geologic Map of Washington--Northeast Quadrant" for
the unit labeled  eieio

For GM 39, the Southeast Quadrant, one of our cartos almost got away with
labeling a creek near Walla Walla, Wash. as "Walla Walla Bing Bang" but
got nabbed.  And, all that jokester's working copies of the Port Townsend
quadrangle are carefully named the Pete Townsend quadrangle, although his
boss sternly disapproves.

It's a joke--Get it?

-- Connie Manson, Washington Div. Geology & Earth Resources

>From: "Taylor,Iain [Dartmouth]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Sheep Hits
>Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 18:03:16 -0400

There is rumoured within Canadian topo. mapping circles to be somewhere
in the wilds of the North West Territories, where the lakes outnumber
the lands the legacy of a bored photogrammatrist (or perhaps just about
to retire) who spelt out a crude and direct message to his superior in
the various lake shapes.

One could I suppose search the several thousand 1:50,000 NTS sheets in
an attempt to disprove this Ottawa urban legend, but before dismissing
it as such one should recall that the artist Whistler in his brief
career with the US Hydrographic Dept. got his marching orders for adding
tastefully drawn seagulls on the panorama of a North West Coastal US
chart.

I believe it used to be the tradition in newspaper publishing to attempt
to slip a uncomplimentary message to the sub-editor by linking up the
first letters of a column.  Most of these were caught by their notorious
eagle eyes, but I had a friend who 30 years ago always carried in his
wallet one that got through on the front page of the [Toronto] Globe &
Mail perpetrated by a retiring (next day) reporter!

E-mail:    [log in to unmask]